Thursday, September 06, 2007

Mariners part ways with manager

SEATTLE--Michael Petersen didn't take any questions on Thursday after the Mariners announced they were not renewing his contract. There was nothing left to be said.

Petersen is gone after three seasons in Seattle, guiding the Mariners to the MSL Championship in 2001 and ending this season with a first round playoff elimination. The Mariners were 282-204 (.580) under Petersen.

"I'd just like to tell everybody that I'd like to thank the organization for giving me the opportunity to come here and win this thing," Petersen said Thursday to a packed media throng in the interview room. "I wish we could've gotten it done this season, and we didn't. I guess all good things must come to an end, and all things come to pass."

What's next for Petersen?

"I fully expect to stay in MSL in some capacity," he said. "I'm not exactly sure with which team. Perhaps the phone might ring and someone ask me to do something. My time in Seattle was a very good time."

No comments: